50 facts you missed about Idina Menzel.
1. Her voice can be heard as Elsa in Disney's global box office smash Frozen in which she sings the film's multi-platinum song "Let It Go."
2. Menzel performed the song "Let It Go" at the 86th Annual Academy Awards.
3. The song "Let It Go" she sung went on to win the Oscar.
4. Idina made history as the first person with both a Billboard Top 10 hit and a Tony Award for acting.
5. She currently stars as "Elizabeth" in the original Broadway production If/Then, by Pulitzer Prize-winning team Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey.
6. Menzel received her third Tony nomination for the role and performed "Always Starting Over" from If/Then at the 2014 Tony Awards.
7. Menzel reached superstardom on Broadway with her Tony Award-winning performance as Elphaba, the misunderstood green girl, in the blockbuster Wicked and in her Tony-nominated role as Maureen in Rent.
8. Menzel also appeared as Sheila in the Encores! production of Hair and starred as Amneris in Broadway's Aida.
9. In London, she originated the role of Elphaba in the West End production of Wicked and received the WhatsOnStage Theatregoers' Choice Award for Best Actress in a Musical.
10. Other Off-Broadway credits include Michael John LaChiusa's musical See What I Wanna See, directed by Ted Sperling at The Public Theater, and the pre-Broadway production of Rent.
11. She recently concluded a highly successful international tour, concluding with a sold-out performance at Radio City Music Hall.
12. Accompanied by world-renowned symphonies, she played to sold-out audiences and demonstrated why she is one of the great performers, earning her second WhatsOnStage Theatregoers' Choice Award for Best Solo Performance in 2013.
13. As part of her tour, Menzel's live concert at The Royal Conservatory in Toronto, Canada was recorded for her CD and DVD, Idina Menzel Live: Barefoot at the Symphony, led by legendary composer/conductor Marvin Hamlisch. The concert aired internationally, including a PBS special in the United States.
14. She is also a skillful songwriter.
15. Menzel also performs and records her own music.
16. Menzel's latest album, Holiday Wishes, was produced by Walter Afanasieff and includes the original song "December Prayer."
17. In addition to Frozen, Menzel's film credits include Disney's romantic fable, Enchanted, where she appeared opposite Susan Sarandon, Patrick Dempsey and Amy Adams; Rent, in which she reprised her role as Maureen; and a co-starring role in Robert Towne's Ask the Dust, opposite Salma Hayek and Colin Farrell.
18. Menzel's television credits include a recurring role on Glee, Fox's smash hit series, as fan-favorite Shelby Corcoran, Rachel's biological mother.
19. She has also appeared on Private Practice, Kevin Hill, and Rescue Me.
20. Philanthropy is also important to Menzel who created the A BroaderWay Foundation in 2010 with Taye Diggs. This organization is dedicated to offering girls from underserved communities an outlet for self-expression and creativity through arts-centered programs.
21. Her full name is Idina Kim Menzel.
22. Menzel rose to prominence when she originated the role of Maureen Johnson in the Broadway musical Rent, a performance for which she earned a Tony Award nomination in 1996.
23. In 2004, Menzel won the Tony Award for Best Actress in a Musical for her performance as Elphaba in the original production of Wicked.
24. Menzel returned to Broadway in the 2014 production of If/Then, earning her third Tony nomination.
25. She was honored later that year with the Breakthrough Artist Award at the Billboard Women in Music Awards.
26. Holiday Wishes, her first album in six years, reached number six on the Billboard 200 albums chart.
27. She grew up in Syosset, the daughter of Helene, a therapist, and Stuart Mentzel, a pajama salesman.
28. She has a younger sister named Cara.
29. Menzel's family is Jewish.
30. Her grandparents emigrated from Russia and elsewhere in Eastern Europe.
31. When Menzel was 15 years old, her parents divorced and she began working as a wedding and bar mitzvah singer, a job which she continued throughout her time at New York University's Tisch School of the Arts.
32. She changed the spelling of her surname to Menzel to better reflect the pronunciation the Mentzel family had adopted in America.
33. She was friends with actor Adam Pascal before they worked together in Rent.
34. Menzel is usually classified as a mezzo-soprano.
35. On her own vocal technique, Menzel revealed that she prefers to avoid moving her shoulders while singing, telling The Philippine Star, "I actually try to take a smaller breath for a bigger, longer note because there's less air that will come pummeling out."
36. Professionally trained as a classical singer from age eight, Menzel decided to pursue other genres, specifically R&B and jazz, when she entered high school.
37. Upon becoming a wedding singer, Menzel was eventually exposed to a wide variety of genres, ranging from jazz and rock to Motown.
38. Menzel married actor Taye Diggs on January 11, 2003.
39. Menzel and Diggs have a son together, Walker Nathaniel Diggs, born on September 2, 2009.
40. In late 2013, it was reported that Menzel and Diggs had separated after ten years of marriage. Their divorce was finalized on December 3, 2014.
41. Menzel began dating actor Aaron Lohr.
42. Menzel and Lohr appeared together in April 2015 at the White House Correspondents' Association Dinner.
43. In August 2015, Menzel and Lohr bought a home located in Encino, Los Angeles, California.
44. They both starred in the 2005 film adaptation of the Tony and Pulitzer Prize winning Broadway musical Rent as well as the off-broadway musical See What I Wanna See.
45. Menzel was an honorary chair of the Imperial Court of New York's Annual Charity Coronation Ball, Night of A Thousand Gowns on March 21, 2009.
46. In 2008, Menzel headlined the Powerhouse Theatre's reading of Steven Sater and Duncan Sheik's musical Nero from July 11 to 13, performing the role of Nero's mistress, Poppea. She was joined by Glee costar Lea Michele as Claudia Octavia, Jeffrey Carleson as Nero, and Michael Arden as Octavia's brother, Brittanicus.
47. Menzel's film roles include appearances in Just a Kiss, Kissing Jessica Stein, The Tollbooth, Water, Ask the Dust, Enchanted, Frozen, and Rent, in which she and five other original cast members reprised their stage roles.
48. On May 17, 2009, Menzel performed at a special benefit concert in Atlanta, Georgia to raise money for the Pace Academy Diversity Program in coordination with the Ron Clark Academy. The event resulted in the funding of two scholarships for Ron Clark Academy students to attend Pace Academy. The event was organized and hosted by Philip McAdoo, a former Rent cast member and current Diversity Program Director at Pace Academy.
49. In Summer 2011, Camp BroaderWay welcomed young girls from under-served metro New York communities to a 10-day performing arts camp, run by Menzel and a team of acclaimed professional Broadway artists including Taye Diggs.
50. In April 2014, Menzel presented at Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS Easter Bonnet Competition with Bryan Cranston, Fran Drescher and Denzel Washington, after raising donations at her Broadway show If/Then.
Source: idinamenzel.com, Wikipedia.org