1) Watermelon is a vine-like flowering plant that originally came from southern Africa.
2) In the 19th century, Alphonse de Candolle thought the watermelon to be indigenous to tropical Africa.
3) China is today the world's single largest watermelon producer. Second is Turkey.
4) The more than 1200 cultivars of watermelon range in weight from less than 1 kg to more than 90 kg (200 pounds)
5) The 'Carolina Cross' made the current world record for heaviest watermelon, weighing 159 kilograms (351 pounds).
6) In a 100 gram serving, watermelon fruit gives 30 calories and low amounts of important nutrients.
7) Watermelon fruit is 91% water, has 6% sugars, and is very low in fat.
8) Watermelon is now the most eaten melon in the US.
9) Today, more than 300 watermelon varieties are cultivated in the US and Mexico.
10) Watermelon contains more Lycopene than raw tomatoes. Lycopene is famously known as cancer-fighting substance.
11) Watermelon juice can relieve muscle soreness
12) The watermelon has fiber that encourages a healthy digestive tract.
13) The first cookbook introduced in the United States in 1776 had a recipe for watermelon rind pickles.
14) The United States ranks 5th in the worldwide production of watermelons. 44 states grow watermelons, with Florida, Texas, California, Georgia and Arizona leading the country in production.
15) Watermelon is grown in over 90 countries globally.
16) In Israel and Egypt, the sweet taste of watermelon is many times paired with the salty taste of feta cheese.
17) Watermelon is a vegetable. It is linked with cucumbers, pumpkins and squash.
18) You can eat every part of a watermelon even the seeds and rinds.
19) People eat an average 16 pounds of watermelon every year.
20) Japanese farmers have been growing cube-shaped watermelons for the past 40 years.
21) Egyptian hieroglyphics show that the first-ever watermelon harvest happened approximately 5,000 years ago.
22) Around 40,000 visitors check the 154-foot watermelon-shaped water tower annually in Lulling, Texas, home of the annual Watermelon Thump event, named for the sworn-by method of “rind-thumping” for checking a melon’s ripeness.
23) The National Watermelon Promotion Board shows that 84 percent of all watermelons sold in grocery stores are seedless.
How to make round watermelon?
24) Watermelon is an great source of Vitamin B6
25) Watermelon is packed with Vitamin A, which is excellent for your eye health.
26) August 3rd is National Watermelon Day.
27) The watermelon is the official state vegetable of Oklahoma
28) Key commercial varieties of watermelon include the Carolina Cross, Yellow Crimson, Orangeglo, Moon & Stars, Cream of Saskatchewan, Melitopolski, and Densuke