In August 2005, Time magazine recognized George as one of "The 25 Most Influential Hispanics in America." Learn 47 facts about actor and comedian George Lopez.
1. George Lopez is a comedian, actor, and talk show host.
2. He is mostly known for starring in his self-produced ABC sitcom George Lopez.
3. His stand-up comedy examines race and ethnic relations, including Mexican American culture.
4. Lopez has received several honors for his work and contributions to the Latino community, including the 2003 Imagen Vision Award, the 2003 Latino Spirit Award for Excellence in Television and the National Hispanic Media Coalition Impact Award.
5. He was also named one of "The Top 25 Hispanics in America" by Time magazine in 2005.
6. Lopez was born on April 23, 1961, in Mission Hills, Los Angeles, California.
7. His parents are Frieda and Anatasio Lopez, a migrant worker.
8. He is of Mexican descent.
9. He was deserted by his father when he was two months old and by his mother when he was 10 years old.
10. Was raised by his maternal grandmother, Benita Gutierrez, a factory worker, and step-grandfather, Refugio Gutierrez, a construction worker.
11. In 1999, Lopez hosted a major morning radio show for Clear Channel Communications in Los Angeles.
12. He was the first Latino to have headlined the keystone morning radio slot on an English-language station in LA - the nation's top radio market.
13. In 2000, after several years of performing stand-up comedy, Lopez was approached by actress Sandra Bullock for Lopez to produce and star in a comedy. Bullock was concerned about the lack of Hispanic-oriented sitcoms on American television and pushed to get a sitcom on television that starred Hispanics without being exclusively about the Hispanic American community.
14. In 2002, Lopez became one of the few Latinos to star in a television comedy series, following in the footsteps of Desi Arnaz, Freddie Prinze, and John Leguizamo.
15. George Lopez is an American situation comedy that originally aired on ABC from 2002-2007. Lopez is the co-creator, writer, producer, and star of the show.
16. On March 8, 2007, it was announced that George Lopez would join the Nick at Nite lineup. It first aired on Nick at Nite on September 10, 2007.
17. Lopez was a cast member and commentator for HBO's hit sports show Inside the NFL for the 2003-2004 football season.
18. Lopez guest starred as the mayor of Reno, Nevada in the fifth season of Reno 911! in 2008.
19. On March 28, 2009, it was announced that Lopez would be hosting his own late night talk show on TBS.
20. Lopez hosted a late-night talk show entitled Lopez Tonight on TBS Monday through Thursday at midnight Eastern Time. The show debuted in November 2009.
21. On April 18, 2013, it was announced George Lopez would be starring in his own sitcom on FX called Saint George, which premiered on March 6, 2014.
22. Lopez earned praise for his performance in the HBO Films drama, Real Women Have Curves, which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival and received the 2002 Audience Award.
23. Lopez was featured in the drama Bread and Roses.
24. He recently starred in the ABC Wonderful World of Disney Christmas film Naughty or Nice.
25. Lopez also starred in the Robert Rodríguez-directed film The Adventures of Shark Boy & Lava Girl, which opened in June 2005.
26. In 2010, Lopez appeared in The Spy Next Door with Jackie Chan, starring as a villain named Glaze.
27. In 2011, Lopez reprised his role as Papi for Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2, and was the voice of a toco toucan, Rafael, in the box-office animated hit Rio, alongside Jesse Eisenberg, Anne Hathaway, will.i.am, and Jamie Foxx.
28. Lopez wrote an autobiography entitled Why You Crying, which was published by the Touchstone/Fireside division of Simon & Schuster, and placed in the New York Times Bestsellers top twenty. The book is co-written by Emmy Award winning writer and sportscaster Armen Keteyian.
29. In January 2009, Lopez appeared in We Are One: The Obama Inaugural Celebration at the Lincoln Memorial.
30. He is a two-time host of the Latin Grammy Awards, and a co-host of the Emmy Awards.
31. He also hosted a Season 9 elimination episode of American Idol after donating the most money on Idol Gives Back.
32. In 1993, Lopez married Ann Serrano.
33. Lopez and Serrano have a daughter, Maya Lopez.
34. On September 27, 2010, Lopez announced that he and his wife had decided to end their marriage.
35. Lopez has a genetic condition that caused his kidneys to deteriorate. His doctors had told him in April 2004 that he was going to require an organ transplant but he postponed the operation until finishing the fourth season of George Lopez.
36. In 2005, his wife Ann donated one of her kidneys to Lopez. The transplant was successful.
37. Lopez lost 45 lbs after the operation due in part to the improvement in his health. He brought awareness to the issue on his show; his character's son Max was diagnosed with a similar illness.
38. Lopez was a featured celebrity golfer in the 2004 Bob Hope Chrysler Classic and the 2004 AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am. Lopez and his pro partner finished third in the Pebble Beach event.
39. Since 2006, Lopez has served as host of the Bob Hope Chrysler Classic.
40. He is a native of Los Angeles who grew up in the San Fernando Valley's Mission Hills. Lopez devotes much time to the community.
41. He heads his own charity, The Ann & George Lopez Foundation (www.thelopezfoundation.org).
42. He is a recipient of the Manny Mota Foundation Community Spirit Award and was named Honorary Mayor of Los Angeles for his extensive fund-raising efforts benefiting earthquake victims in El Salvador and Guatemala.
43. In February 2004, Lopez was presented the 2004 Artist of the Year and Humanitarian Award by the Harvard Foundation at Harvard University, presented by its president and dean for his artistic work and charitable endeavors.
44. Lopez has received several honors for his work and contributions to the Latino community.
45. In September 2004, George was honored with the "Spirit of Liberty Award," presented by People for the American Way.
46. In August 2005, Time magazine recognized George as one of "The 25 Most Influential Hispanics in America."
47. On October 18, 2011, Lopez's elementary school, San Fernando Elementary School, honored him for his beneficent efforts by naming their auditorium after him. Lopez has ensured through his annual toy giveaway that every child at the school receives a gift during the holidays.