Therapeutic. Flowing. Energized. Rejuvenated.
These are key words for every Houstonian seeking health and wellness-especially after the year we've had.
You may have put your health goals on hold, while coping with last year's unprecedented events. But now, more than ever, it's time to prioritize your health.
To help you achieve your optimal state of wellness, here are 3 areas to focus on.
Heat Up Your World
Infrared saunas are transforming the options for helping you use heat to support your health goals. It may seem like an unlikely combo, given that in Houston we've got plenty of natural heat. However, infrared saunas deliver a specific amount of heat for an ideal 40-minute sweat session.
What happens in that session?
According to Perspire Sauna Studio, sauna users can burn 200-400 calories per session. Saunas are known for supporting health by increasing oxygen and blood flow, detoxification, and skin purification.
Have you experienced a sauna?
If you haven't tried a sauna for yourself, you have a treat in store. Regular sauna users agree it is relaxing, energizing, and rewarding. It's a practical way to boost your mood and support your health goals.
With all that heat...I bet you know what comes next.
Cool Down Your Body
Whether it's a hot sauna or a steamy hot Houston day, you know that keeping cool is vitally important. What's your best option?
Health experts agree that drinking fresh water is key for health benefits, weight management, and weight loss.
The Mayo Clinic advises that water is essential to good health-and there is a lot you can do to support drinking enough water. They recommend that people need between 2-3 liters of water per day, with variations based on body size, activity level, and overall health.
To raise your water intake, consider these options:
- Drink water first thing in the morning.
- Aim for 2-3 liters of fresh water per day.
- Swap out sugary drinks, sodas, and sweet teas for water.
- Carry water with you in a refillable steel or glass container.
- Keep water on your desk for easy access while working.
- Offer water as the drink-of-choice to friends and family
- Start the water drinking habit with your children and family
- Serve water with berries, cucumber, or fresh herbs like basil.
While evaluating your water intake, consider the quality of water in your home.
You may find that treated tap water has a specific chlorinated taste. If you live in an area with poor water quality, you can improve the purity of your water and drink water with a remarkably clean taste. If you're looking for water purity, consider installing a reverse osmosis system to upgrade the water quality in your home.
With practical tips and a water purifying system in your home, it's a lot easier to embrace drinking enough water to stay cool and healthy.
Let's see how you can keep things flowing as you achieve your health goals.
Keep Things Flowing
Taking saunas and drinking enough pure water is a powerful foundation for making positive health changes. As you look forward, consider the third pillar of health: staying active.
Looking for ideas to get active? Here are a few to get you going:
- Find excuses to do extra yard work and gardening.
- Look for opportunities to sweep, clean, and vacuum.
- Organize activities to promote more exercise into your day.
- Park the car further away to encourage walking.
- Take the stairs instead of elevators.
- Play with your kids, neighbors, and community sports groups.
- Get out in our many Houston parks and paths.
- Take up yoga, Pilates, or Tai Chi.
- Walk, jog, and run instead of using the car.
- Ride your bike for fun and for commuting.
- Host activity centered events for friends and family.
While we are emerging from a year of social distancing, now is a great time to share your goals with friends and family. It's a perfect time to get started on your health and wellness actions. Taking saunas. Drinking quality water. Getting active. These are 3 powerful moves to create a great summer and a healthy 2021.