Lewis appeared in over a dozen teen movies, such as Troop Beverly Hills and The Wizard in 1989. Learn 46 facts from life and career of Jenny Lewis.
1. Her full name is Jennifer Diane "Jenny" Lewis.
2. She is an American singer-songwriter, musician, and actress.
3. She was the primary vocalist of the indie rock band Rilo Kiley.
4. Has released three solo albums.
5. She performed as part of the duo Jenny & Johnny with boyfriend Johnathan Rice.
6. Lewis was born in Las Vegas, Nevada.
7. Her mother, Linda, was a professional singer.
8. Her father, Eddie Gordon, was a member of the Harmonica Gang.
9. Lewis is Jewish.
10. Lewis made her professional acting debut in a Jell-O commercial.
11. She was featured in the short-lived 1986 Lucille Ball sitcom Life With Lucy, where she was cast as one of Lucy's grandchildren.
12. She also had small roles on TV shows, such as Murder She Wrote, The New Twilight Zone, Baywatch, The Golden Girls, Growing Pains, Just the Ten of Us, Roseanne, Mr. Belvedere, and Brooklyn Bridge.
13. Lewis appeared in over a dozen teen movies, such as Troop Beverly Hills and The Wizard in 1989.
14. She was featured in the 1996 made-for-TV movie Talk to Me with Yasmine Bleeth, as well as the films Foxfire, Big Girls Don't Cry... They Get Even, and Pleasantville.
15. She played the part of Evangeline "Eva" Saint Claire in the 1987 film version of Harriet Beecher Stowe's novel Uncle Tom's Cabin.
16. Appeared in 1988 made-for-TV film set in Vienna at the start of the Holocaust, A Friendship in Vienna.
17. She played Beverly D'Angelo's daughter in the 1996 made-for-TV film, Sweet Temptation.
18. She continued acting until 1998, although the last released film - Don's Plum, filmed 1995-96 - was not released until 2001.
19. In 1998, Lewis and friends Pierre De Reeder, Dave Rock and then-boyfriend Blake Sennett formed the band Rilo Kiley.
20. In an interview with NPR's All Songs Considered, Lewis remarked that she wanted to name the group (Rilo Kiley) Love's Way (after her parents' lounge act in Las Vegas), but Sennett "didn't go for it."
21. Originally asked to sing back-up vocals Rilo Kiley by Sennett, Lewis refused to join the band unless she was able to sing lead vocals.
22. Beginning with a country sound, Rilo Kiley gravitated toward a downbeat indie rock sound, gaining the attention of Warner Bros., who signed the band for the release of their 2004 album More Adventurous, which gained the band some success. Critics such as Pitchfork attributed this to the "wise" decision to emphasize Lewis's voice and presence more so than in previous albums. The song "Portions for Foxes" was a hit. Rilo Kiley's 2007 album Under the Blacklight was released directly by Warner Bros.
23. It was announced on July 14, 2011 that Rilo Kiley had officially split up.
24. A retrospective of Lewis's career by Jessica Roy in 2016 commented that Lewis was a style icon to music-loving young people in the 2000s.
25. In 2004, Conor Oberst invited Lewis to record a solo record for record label Team Love.
26. Lewis toured with the Watson Twins in support of the album three times in 2006 and appeared with her band on the Late Show with David Letterman, The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, Late Night with Conan O'Brien and Later with Jools Holland.
27. In 2008, Lewis released a second solo album, this time without the Watson Twins, titled Acid Tongue.
28. On July 29, 2014, Lewis released The Voyager.
29. Her album The Voyager took 5 years to complete.
30. The album The Voyager is a reflection on Rilo Kiley's break-up and the death of Lewis's father. The release of the album was preceded by the single "Just One of the Guys".
31. The music video for "Just One of the Guys" was released on July 15, 2014 through GQ and stars Lewis, Anne Hathaway, Kristen Stewart, Brie Larson, and Tennessee Thomas, former drummer of The Like (now disbanded). Lewis also directed the music video.
32. In 2010, Lewis released the song "Scissor Runner" with then boyfriend Johnathan Rice under the moniker Jenny and Johnny. The song was made available for free download from the duo's official website, and is taken from their first studio album I'm Having Fun Now. In 2015, Jenny and Johnny wrote the song "Cold One" for the movie "Ricky and the Flash".
33. On July 8, 2014, Lewis began her "The Voyager" tour at the Ottawa Bluesfest in Ontario, Canada. She then spent July touring the United States and released the album The Voyager on July 29. Her tour consisted of many stops throughout the United States and the United Kingdom, including performances at Newport Folk Festival, Lollapalooza, Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival, the Red Rocks Amphitheatre, the 2014 ITunes Festival in London, two performances at the Austin City Limits Music Festival, and the Life Is Beautiful Festival in Las Vegas.
34. In 2002, Lewis was asked to contribute vocals for The Postal Service. Lewis performed in the video for the hit "We Will Become Silhouettes", and toured with the band in 2013.
35. In 2003, Lewis contributed vocals to several tracks on the Cursive album The Ugly Organ.
36. In 2005, Lewis contributed to the UNICEF benefit song "Do They Know It's Hallowe'en?", along with Sennett and Jimmy Tamborello.
37. In 2006, Lewis made a cameo in Episode 25, Season 1 of Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour, and six of her songs were featured in various episodes of the show.
38. In 2007, Lewis contributed vocals to various songs on Johnathan Rice's album Further North, and she appeared in the music video for "We're All Stuck Out In The Desert (And We're Gonna Die)". She provided vocals for a track on Dntel's Dumb Luck LP.
39. In 2008, Lewis contributed backing vocals to several songs on the Elvis Costello and the Imposters album Momofuku.
40. In 2008, Lewis voiced the role of the Assistant Director for Walt Disney Pictures' Bolt and provided the song "Barking at the Moon."
41. In March and April 2009, Lewis traveled to Australia for the first time, as an act for the V Festival, as well as a supporting act for Snow Patrol and performing one solo Sydney show.
42. On April 18, 2009, Lewis performed at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in Indio, California.
43. On May 5, 2009, Lewis performed on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson.
44. Lewis makes an appearance on the track "Hard Enough", taken from the 2010 album Flamingo by fellow Las Vegan Brandon Flowers.
45. In 2013, Lewis created the music score for Tribeca Film's feature, Very Good Girls. She provided original music and also included older music from her previous band, Rilo Kiley, such as the song, "Go Ahead".
46. In 2014, Lewis contributed an exclusive track to HBO's Girls, in collaboration with Vampire Weekend's Rostam Batmanglij titled "Completely not Me". The song was featured in the Season 3 premiere "Females Only". The song is the second track on Girls Volume Two: All Adventurous Women Do.